Hiding Neon LTS Edition

With the new Plasma LTS came an update to KDE neon LTS Edition and lots of people asking which edition to use and what the difference is.  This caused us to review the purpose of LTS and as a result we’ve just hidden LTS from the download page.  The only difference with the LTS edition is that it stays on Plasma’s LTS release but apps and libraries still get updates.  This doesn’t fit well with the main use cases of an LTS which is that it only gets bug fixes and no new features.  Further we test Neon LTS edition less than any other edition so it’s more likely we’ll miss some problem, which is the opposite of what most people would expect. There are distros whose release model fits better with the needs of Plasma LTS but the constant updates of Neon don’t fit too well.  We’ll keep the edition around and don’t expect to make any changes to the repositories or builds, they’re useful for devs testing Plasma LTS, but we’re not advertising it for download since it gives a different expectation of what to expect than fits into the release method of Neon.

18 Comment

1. anonymous says:

I think you’ve just come to dev/beta/stable-model so why not re-name/brand it in proper way?

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

User edition isn’t beta. dev-stable however is and we’ve a long-standing todo to rename that

2. Mitlik says:

Is it recommended that current LTS users modify current installations to the regular user edition? If so, how is that accomplished?

What is recommended for users that want the current LTS version of plasma?

Thanks in advance.

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

No need to change edition, carry on as normal.

To use the LTS version of Plasma use KDE neon User LTS edition same as before.

3. Stefan Z. says:

Dear Mr. Riddell and Team,

I’m really sorry to see the LTS Edition go and frankly, I want to encourage you to reconsider this decision. While I do understand that it never was Neon’s primary concern to offer such a release model in the first place, I do believe that it offered something of great value for lots of people.

“[It] doesn’t fit well with the main use cases of an LTS which is that it only gets bug fixes and no new features” — True, but the LTS Edition placed Neon in a niche that, to my knowledge, nobody else filled. And I don’t think that niche was too small either. And if so many people were confused by what the LTS was supposed to be than a rewording of its description might solve the problem just as well.

“Further we test Neon LTS edition less than any other edition so it’s more likely we’ll miss some problem” — Could you elaborate in what way the testing for an LTS version like 5.12 differs from a non-LTS release like 5.11? Don’t both editions currently come with the same Plasma 5.12.x? If so, aren’t they basically the same until the User Edition moves on to 5.13? Why would they need seperate testing at this point in time? Absolutely no criticism, just simple curiosity!

Well, I guess I’ve made my case. Since I’m already here: My sincere thanks to everyone involved in KDE Neon and KDE in general! Your time and effort allow me to (re)claim a little freedom and choice in an ever growing world of constraints. You are valued!

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

It’s not gone anywhere, it’s just not advertised on the download page. You can still find images and packages which are still updated just as often.

During the update to Plasma 5.12 there was a problem with Discover which stopped Discover working which only happened in neon LTS edition, this stopped any GUI way to install or update packages, it’s the sort of thing I should have tested for but didn’t.

1. Øystein says:

So, if I understand this correctly, it boils down to a lack of manpower and time to QA Neon LTS? If so, I think the decision is understandable.

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

No, it comes out of Neon being rolling updates for KDE packages and that being the opposite of what people want from an LTS

4. […] lo explican en el blog oficial del proyecto, la llegada de la última versión del escritorio y su correspondiente actualización, […]

5. […] lo explican en el blog oficial del proyecto, la llegada de la última versión del escritorio y su correspondiente actualización, […]

6. […] lo explican en el blog oficial del proyecto, la llegada de la última versión del escritorio y su correspondiente actualización, […]

7. […] lo explican en el blog oficial del proyecto, la llegada de la última versión del escritorio y su correspondiente actualización, […]

8. anonymous says:

I’m sorry for offtopic but could you answer will there be an update for qt or neon will stay with current lts version?

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

We hope to update to qt 5.10 next week

9. Wayne says:

So at present I’m using the LTS edition, which as far as I’m aware mirrors the user Edition at present.
    To change my system over to the user edition, do I need to do any more than knock the “lts/” off the url in the sources list?

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

You can try, although it’s not supported, I’ve seem people report success with this. Or you can just stay on LTS edition.

Comments are closed.