Moving to Bionic

KDE neon is a project to do continuous integration and deployment of KDE software for easy and quick use by the world.  We have three ways of doing that the main one being the archive of .deb packages based on the latest Ubuntu LTS (the other two are Docker images and Snap packages).

With the new Ubuntu LTS 18.04 out it’s time to rebase Neon’s packages on that.  This is still work in progress but demand seems to be strong looking at comments around the forums, chat rooms and social media, so we’re aware many people are waiting for this.  We have compiled all the essential packages of Git Unstable edition on Bionic and today I’m working on the installer.  Now we need to finish off compiling all the packages for the four editions of KDE neon and make sure the upgrade is working.  In the mean time of course we’ll keep updating the packages based on 16.04 LTS so you can keep getting the latest and greatest from KDE.

40 Comment

1. alex says:

Not sure whether you’re aware of this, but since you brought up the installer, there seem to be some issues surrounding it: https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-beaver.html
    Nothing too serious, just annoyances.

1. Iona says:

I’m not the biggest fan of Dedoimedo, he seems overly picky about things that don’t affect most people – connecting to obscure mobile phones, Samba sharing, his ancient laptop with eight squillion partitions – but he has a point with regard to 18.04.

I had to move back away from it when I tried it because of an annoying intermittent fault on my docked ThinkPad – every few logins, the desktop appeared half-way off my screen for some reason and I’d have to reboot to fix it.

2. AlexPB says:

Sounds good!

Don’t rush things though, I’ve heard various complaints about Kubuntu 18.04 https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-beaver.html as well as good reviews https://kdedigest.blogspot.cz/2018/03/checking-in-with-kubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-daily-build-here-are-some-thoughts.html

Currently very happy with KDE neon – Looking forward to upgrading when it makes sense 🙂

1. Rockiger says:

Kubuntu 18.04 is really great. I have installed it on two laptops and I have no issues with it. The first Kubuntu I really like.

2. making an article about daily builds of a distro is absurd and Dedoimedo has some rather odd complaints of his own, even goes as far as to complain about Plasma issues as if they are Kubuntu’s fault. The interesting thing is he seems to have a problem with Plasma 5 in general which is likely why he is still using Kubuntu 14.04 which has Plasma 4.

3. Watsoft70 says:

Probably a stupid question, but will the current versions of KDE neon update the underlying ubuntu to version 18.04 or will it need to be a fresh install?
    Thanks in advance.

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

Silly indeed 🙂

“make sure the upgrade is working”

1. Watsoft70 says:

I’m sorry Jonathan, but I had no idea if we were talking their process of upgrading to 18.04 in readyness to release a new installer, or if that meant an upgrade that would be available for the end user.

If you’re in the know then a simple YES or NO would suffice rather than being condescending, failing to clarify and just repeating the verbose statement that I had read and then questioned.

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

1. watsoft70 says:

Thanks fella! 😉

2. LinuxGuy says:

So true. But guess this is what we get from Linux Community.

4. Florian Greinus says:

Awesome! Really hyped :-).

5. anonymous says:

hell yeah!

6. That sound great! But why do you say four editions (“Now we need to finish off compiling all the packages for the four editions of KDE neon”)? Isn’t that three: User, Git-Stable and Git-Unstable?

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

and user-lts

7. Cartman says:

Sweeeet.

8. […] “With the new Ubuntu LTS 18.04 out it’s time to rebase Neon’s packages on that.  This is still work in progress but demand seems to be strong looking at comments around the forums, chat rooms and social media, so we’re aware many people are waiting for this,” reads today’s announcement. […]

9. Bruce says:

Great news! so in theory will just be able to update are currently installed Neon to the new LTS?

10. bob says:

1) Will the telemetry in ubuntu 18.04 be completely removed in neon?

2) Any ballpark usage stats on how many people use kde neon? (Based on how many downloads, or how many people pull from the neon repos etc)

11. mapcoder says:

I am as giddy as a school boy! It would have been better had you had a release schedule too.

12. Any rough time frame/roadmap for this?

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

We’ve not done it before so whenever it’s ready. But we’ll try to be prompt.

1. Degenerate says:

Waiting for 18.04.1 might be a sensible strategy. I believe this is what Ubuntu themselves do before rolling out a dist-upgrade to users of the previous LTS.

1. Bruce says:

Good idea I can wait

2. That’s in July…

I really can’t see why waiting for so long.

13. Christian says:

I went 100% Neon a year ago and I’m not looking back. Looking ahead though and so happy I can see an 18.04 base in the future. I hope a not too distant one though! 🙂

14. Master One says:

I think I’m a little confused about what Ubuntu LTS means for KDE Neon. Ubuntu receives support for 5 years, however any other editions are only supported for 3 years.

Since KDE Neon sits on top of the Ubuntu core foundations, does that mean it is supported for 5 years or does it require upgrading every 2 years when a new Ubuntu LTS comes out and KDE Neon gets re-based on the new Ubuntu LTS?

So once KDE Neon gets re-based to the latest Ubuntu LTS, is KDE Neon based on the former Ubuntu LTS abandoned or will they coexist side-by-side?

I am fascinated by the KDE Neon idea and considering it instead of Kubuntu on my new laptop, so I’m eagerly awaiting the install media for the new KDE Neon User Edition based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

15. Nedo says:

Yeah, Kde Neon is the best Desktop os ever created. I use it in my home, in my office, im my laptop… I love it.

P.s. With Nvidia Cards there are video tearing problem same as ubuntu.
    For solving you need to add file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf
    Section “Screen”
    Identifier “Screen0”
    Device “Device0”
    Monitor “Monitor0”
    DefaultDepth 24
    Option “metamodes” “nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }”
    Option “TripleBuffer” “on”
    Option “AllowIndirectGLXProtocol” “off”
    SubSection “Display”
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection

Otherwise the desktop effects and video playback are not working correctly, can be a good idea solving this problem with new version of Neon.

1. GreyGeek says:

I second your appraisal of KDE Neon User Edition. I’ve been using Linux since May 1, 1998 and Neon is the best “non-distro” distro I’ve ever used, and I’ve used a lot.

My nvidia problem (GT 650M) is a mouse pointer artifact that occurs on the login screen and continues on the desktop.. To eliminate it I open a console on the splash screen (Ctl+Alt+F2) and enter “sudo systemctl restart sddm”. The login screen re-appears and the mouse pointer defect is gone. I then log into the desktop. When I tried Kubuntu 18.04 a couple days ago that mouse pointer defect did not appear, but Nvidia was temperamental in taking control of the desktop. I use the “Thermal Monitor” widget showing temps of the CPU0, GPU and HD0. When Nvidia doesn’t load the GPU shows “off”. Also, on Kubuntu Bionic, after I first installed it the Proprietary Drivers GUI recommendation appeared and recommended I install Nvidia 390. I did from that GUI but Nvidia did not start. Comparing it to my Neon I installed the Bumblebee-dkms and related packages, plus Prime and a total of 34 other packages. Nvidia installed and ran without the mouse pointer artifacts, but it was temperamental in loading, hence the widget monitor.

16. Hristo says:

From the title I thought Bionic meant the Android libc, which would have been strange.

1. Steve7233 says:

It reminded me of The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman from the 2 1970’s tv series.

17. […] en este caso para quienes esperan con ganas que KDE Neon dé el salto a Bionic Beaver. En un comunicado oficial han aclarado que están en ello… pero qué queréis que os diga, la distro va ahora tan bien que […]

18. […] en este caso para quienes esperan con ganas que KDE Neon dé el salto a Bionic Beaver. En un comunicado oficial han aclarado que están en ello… pero qué queréis que os diga, la distro va ahora tan bien […]

19. […] en este caso para quienes esperan con ganas que KDE Neon dé el salto a Bionic Beaver. En un comunicado oficial han aclarado que están en ello… pero qué queréis que os diga, la distro va ahora tan bien que […]

20. Demon says:

I am eager to install it. Rock it guys)
    Here is one thing: when i change the volume of sound with multimedia keys or with keyboard shortcut then visual indicator pops up in the middle of the screen but there is no sound indication going on in headphones or loudspeakers. It works on kubuntu but not in neon. Volume feedback behaviour is checked in settings. Fix it in release please)

21. Johan Boulé says:

By the comments, I suppose Jonathan Riddell is the author of this anonymous post.

1. Jonathan Riddell says:

You suppose right

22. Axel86 says:

Best KDE distro!!! I wait Bionic base. Good luck 🙂

23. […] Setelah proyek Ubuntu menerbitkan rilis 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver, mayoritas distribusi turunannya mulai menelurkan rilis baru berbasis versi tersebut, termasuk KDE neon. “Dengan kehadiran Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, inilah waktu untuk me-rebase paket-paket Neon berbasiskan rilis tersebut,” terang pengembang. […]

Comments are closed.